US 9 1851 1¢ Franklin A9

9


Listings from eBay

 

SCOTT U.S. #9
Series of 1851-57 1¢ Franklin
Type IV
Earliest Known Use: June 18, 1852
Quantity issued: Unknown
Printed by: Toppan, Carpenter & Co.
Method: Flat plate
Watermark: None
Perforation: Imperforate
Color: Blue

 

Sorts or mixed bags happen when a stamp has contrasts which change from the way it was initially expected to be printed. These distinctions happen when the outline is being exchanged to the plate for printing or when lines are re-cut.

The outline is engraved on a kick the bucket – a little, level bit of steel. The outline is replicated to an exchange roll – a clear move of steel. A few impressions or “reliefs” are made on the roll. The reliefs are exchanged to the plate – an expansive, level bit of steel from which the stamps are printed. At the point when the outline is being exchanged to the move or plate, contrasts can happen. A harmed plate or remote matter reasons contrasts. Lines re-cut on a well used plate can bring about twofold lines.

While trying to enhance the Series of 1851-57 1¢ Franklin plate, the lines of Plate One were re-cut. No less than 199 of the 200 subjects were chipped away at, with the greater part of the re-cutting done by hand. Accordingly, no two positions are precisely similar.

The Series of 1851-57 1¢ Franklin Type IV

In 1851, Congress decreased postal rates. These new rates basically wiped out separation as a variable and made a requirement for new categories. The 1¢ stamp was utilized on all mail up to 3 ounces and on “drop letters” which were sent to the same town. The single letter rate, in light of a half ounce, was changed to 3¢ for mail not over a separation of 3,000 miles. Mail surpassing this separation was brought down to 6¢. In 1855, the rate for letters more than 3,000 miles changed to 10¢.

Prepayment was still discretionary. In the event that postage was paid by the recipient upon receipt, the rate was higher. Because of expanded gather rates, the utilization of postage stamps was extraordinarily invigorated. In 1855, pre-installment was made compulsory.